The General Fellows House
Built in the Federal style of architecture with twin end chimneys and three bay front by Revolutionary General John Fellows (ca. 1733 – 1808) about 1780, the structure has undergone significant modification but retains some original moldings and hardware. Among its early owners was Edward Ensign, a partner in the New Stone Store. He operated a double-door smokehouse on the site, probably to supply the family mercantile business. Restored, the smokehouse now rests on the grounds of The Society. For many years the home was operated as a boarding house by the maiden Field sisters. In 1925 Jane B. Barnard and her sister, Anna B. O’Connor, daughters of General and Mrs. John G. Barnard bought the property and gave it to Christ Church Episcopal to use as a rectory.