The Staveleigh House
Built and occupied by the Reverend James Bradford (1786 – 1858), who was for nearly 39 years the fourth settled minister of the Congregational Church and a lineal descendant of Governor William Bradford of Mayflower fame. He authored a town history included in a History of Berkshire County, published in 1829. Later, Bradford’s son, Judge James Bradford (1817 – 1889), resided here with his family. Originally constructed in a colonial style, the house was heavily modified inside and out by Henry Staveleigh Andrews when Greek Revival details and significant chimneys were added, along with a carriage barn, now gone. Andrews was the first president of the Sheffield Water Company.