The Mark Dewey Research Center
Presently housing the research library of The Sheffield Historical Society, this small two-story structure was originally built in 1816 as a hatter’s shop by Mark Dewey who maintained it as both a manufactory and retail shop utilizing several young male apprentices. The structure is of timber frame construction and, because of its date of origin, may have been originally in the Greek Revival style of architecture. Purchased by The Society about 1988, its condition required gutting and it was remodeled to accommodate a research facility. It now houses 18th, 19th and 20th century town documents, genealogies both published and unpublished, and a range of books and files on local and regional topics. It is open to the public free of charge during regular hours.